Wednesday, May 5, 2010

We're all disposable

I love the book and film of The Princess Bride and I enjoy the soundtrack too. It's filled with pithy observations and messages. The two that spring instantly to my mind are "true love never dies" and "Life is pain, Highness". There's also a discussion about fairness in the film as Grandfather Columbo explains to Grandchild Kevin from the Wonder Years that life is not fair. A conversation that more grandfathers should have with grandchildren. It's cruel to let them figure that out on their own.

Back on track, I lost my book or gave it to someone and they haven't given it back. So I bought another copy. I got this second hand on Amazon. They have various companies that have old library books or second hand bookshops etc. Good value.

When I got the book I looked at the inside cover and read the handwriting:
Hmmm - a fairystory?
Not the most obvious choice... but
it's funny and wonderful, and
you won't be able to put it down.
Enjoy!
Happy 26th. With Love,
Jen xx

There is no explanation of how this book came to me that isn't filled with sadness and ultimately reminds me that we are all disposable and replaceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment