Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Work related ennui

We don't have any natural predators. Nothing wants to kill us. Disease doesn't stalk the land. The biggest worries that people have at the moment are the price of oil, mortgage repayments and the looming spectre of unemployment. Not that these aren't valid, I'm just pointing out that compared to the concerns of someone in a war torn African country they are less important to the health of the organism - Us.

I deal with people at their very worst. You don't meet me on your good days when nothing has gone wrong. I don't see you when you've managed something clever that you will regale your friends with. I see you at your worst. Hair messed up. Dried blood. Wallet or handbag missing and for some reason containing the documents you need to travel tomorrow. I regret that at times because it leads me to the possibly false belief that people are stupid. That our collective good might be served by thinning out the numbers and the introduction of a few natural predators.

The result of this is that I feel the person who took the bag that was left unattended in the bar for upwards of 45 minutes is not stealing, merely levying a tax on the foolish. The careless need to be taught a lesson. In the absence of real peril then we need these people, these tax collectors.

I feel differently about the person who knocks over an old lady or ties her up in her house as they ransack it. I don't know where the line is but I regard them differently. This line between criminal and somewhat irregular public servant.

I hate people who get "assaulted" even more. The number of people who just get assaulted is very low. In my experience it seems to be when a roving gang of youths encounter someone different and weak. If you're different you can't be weak, some of the blame has to fall on you if you are. For the most part then getting into fights and assaulted is a culmination of poor selection of location, your sobriety, your group of friends, the very real chance that you're an ass and deserve it and several other factors all of which you have the chance to change. What I'm getting at is don't come running to me, I have no sympathy for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment